Keeping a commercial space clean should be a top priority for any business owner. A clean workspace promotes health, safety, and productivity among employees. It also creates a professional impression on clients and customers. However, cleaning a large commercial area can be daunting without the proper systems and techniques.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide tips and best practices for keeping your office, retail store, or other commercial space tidy from top to bottom. Whether you handle cleaning in-house or hire professional janitorial services, these tips will help you develop efficient cleaning processes. Read on to learn how to keep your floors, kitchen, bathroom, windows, and other areas spotless. With the right cleaning schedule and methods, your commercial space can maintain a pristine appearance all year.
Tips for Cleaning Flooring
The floors of a commercial space see a lot of traffic and take a lot of abuse. As a result, they require special attention when it comes to cleaning. Here are some tips for cleaning various types of flooring in a commercial environment:
● To remove loose dirt and debris, sweeping or vacuuming daily is vital for tiled floors. Mop with a neutral pH floor cleaner and warm water weekly. Disinfectants can be added to mop water in restrooms, breakrooms, and other areas prone to germs. Use a floor-buffing machine periodically to make tile floors shine.
● Vinyl composite tile (VCT) is ubiquitous in offices and retail spaces. Sweep this flooring daily and damp mop with a vinyl floor cleaner weekly. Apply floor finish every 3-6 months to maintain a protective layer. Strip off old floor finish and reapply new coats annually.
● Stone, brick, and concrete floors also benefit from weekly vacuuming and mopping. Use a pH-neutral stone cleaner and be careful not to let moisture soak into porous stone. Resealing these floors every 1-2 years will keep them looking new.
● For carpeted areas, vacuum daily in high-traffic zones and at least twice a week everywhere else. Professionally steam clean carpets every 6-12 months to remove deeply embedded dirt. Spot clean stains right away to prevent setting. Consider professional carpet protector treatments every year or two.
● Hardwood floors should be swept and mopped weekly with a wood floor cleaner. Use felt pads under furniture legs to prevent scratches. Reseal hardwood floors annually to protect the finish.
● Proper floor cleaning supplies like microfiber mops, squeegees, and vacuums with HEPA filters make a big difference. Post floor cleaning signs to prevent slips. And don’t forget floor care in storage rooms, basements, and other neglected areas.
Tips for Cleaning Kitchen Areas
When cleaning, kitchen areas in offices, breakrooms, and restaurants deserve special attention. Food prep areas can accumulate grease, spills, and bacteria quickly. Here are some kitchen cleaning tips for commercial spaces:
● Degrease appliances like microwaves, coffee makers, and refrigerators thoroughly each week. Use all-purpose cleaners or degreasers and wipe down exterior surfaces. Don’t forget the trays and walls inside microwaves, which can get splattered. Pull refrigerators out and clean behind and underneath monthly.
● Wipe kitchen countertops down daily using disinfecting wipes or spray cleaners. Use a soft sponge or cloth to scrub mineral deposits on faucets. Disinfect sinks daily or more often if heavily used.
● Backsplashes should be spot-cleaned daily and deep-cleaned weekly. Use a degreasing cleaner and stiff nylon brush to scrub greasy buildup. Rinse soap scum and food debris from walls near the sink. Check grout lines for mold growth and treat with chlorine or oxygen bleach as needed.
● Dishwashers in breakrooms or kitchens need cleaning too. Run appliance-safe cleaners monthly to descale and deodorize the dishwasher interior. Remove food particles from the filter. Verify wash cycles reach proper temperatures with dishwasher test strips.
● For kitchen floors, sweep and mop daily using a grease-cutting floor cleaner. Clean under and behind appliances and kitchen cabinets monthly. Watch for sticky spills or grease drips which can make floors unsafe. Consider floor mats or runners to reduce slips near sinks and ovens.
● Keep kitchen cleaning supplies fully stocked. Use color-coded towels, sponges, and bins for different tasks to prevent cross-contamination. Empty trash cans daily, spray with a disinfectant spray weekly or immediately if anything leaks from the bag.
Tips for Cleaning Restrooms
Restrooms in commercial facilities receive heavy use and require vigilant cleaning. Follow these tips to keep your business’s restrooms sanitary:
● Clean and disinfect all restroom surfaces including floors, stalls, walls, faucets, and mirrors daily. Use EPA-approved hospital-grade disinfectant cleaners specifically formulated to kill germs. Focus on high-hand-contact areas like door handles, flush levers, and faucet handles.
● Clean bathroom stalls by starting at the top and working down. Spray bathroom stall walls and doors with disinfectant and wipe down using a soft cloth. Scrub visible grime before disinfecting. Make sure to get into cracks and metal crevices where germs hide.
● When cleaning toilets, use a specialty toilet bowl cleaner and toilet brush. Swab the entire toilet bowl interior, allowing the cleaner to sit before flushing. Wipe down the exterior of toilets, including the seat, lid, tank, and base.
● Don’t neglect bathroom flooring. Sweep floors to remove debris before wet mopping with a disinfectant cleaner. Clean corners, around toilets, and underneath partitions thoroughly. Use caution signs to avoid slips.
● Descale bathroom sinks, faucets, and shower heads regularly. Wipe away soap scum, hair, and mineral deposits which can harbor bacteria. Disinfect stainless steel and chrome surfaces to make them sparkle.
● Remove trash immediately if anything is leaking or dirty. Use a lidded bathroom trash can lined with a plastic bag. Empty at least daily and spray bins with disinfectant before replacing the bag.
● Check supply levels of paper products, soap, air fresheners, seat covers, and cleaning tools. Replenish bathroom supplies several times a day during peak use periods. Record supply inventory and notify managers when items need reordering.
Tips for Cleaning Windows and Walls
It’s easy to overlook cleaning windows, walls, and other high surfaces in a commercial space. But dirty windows look unprofessional, and grimy walls harbor allergens. Here are some tips for adding windows and walls to your cleaning routine:
● Clean interior windows at least monthly using glass cleaner and lint-free cloths or paper towels. Spray glass cleaner directly onto towels to avoid drips which can stain window frames or sills. Wipe in a circular, overlapping motion for a streak-free finish.
● Spot clean walls weekly by wiping off fingerprints, smudges, or spills with a mild all-purpose cleaner and soft sponge or cloth. Scrub foul high-touch areas. Disinfect wall areas around sinks, garbage cans, and water fountains.
● Do a thorough wall washing every 6-12 months. Vacuum cobwebs and dust shelves first. Use warm water with a small amount of mild detergent and a sponge mop to wash walls top to bottom. Rinse with a damp mop to prevent streaking as you work.
● Clean baseboards monthly using an all-purpose cleaner and a small brush. Baseboards collect dust and debris and make good cleaning indicators of how often walls need washing.
● Schedule professional window cleaners for exterior window cleaning every 6 months. Exterior window cleaning requires special equipment for multi-story buildings. Wipe exterior window sills and frames during exterior cleanings.
● Repaint walls periodically to cover up scuffs or stains in high-traffic areas that regular cleaning can’t remove. Fresh paint brightens up a space and makes it look newly cleaned.
Maintaining cleanliness in busy commercial spaces takes diligence and proper systems, but it is essential for health, safety, and professionalism. Following these simple tips will help facility managers and cleaning teams elevate standards and efficiency. Partnering with a professional janitorial service like Ameristar can optimize outcomes with regular or one-time deep cleaning solutions. Contact Ameristar at (570) 675-5525 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation on tailored cleaning for your unique commercial space. Our expert teams specialize in sanitizing schools, offices, clinics, gyms, warehouses, and more throughout the region.